Sunday, November 26, 2017

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

For the week of Cyber and Steam Punk, I decided to try a bit of steampunk with Cherie Priest’s Boneshaker. Although I have yet to finish the novel, I love all that I’ve read of it so far and am excited to finish it in the future. A large reason for my interest in this specific novel was for the main characters. I sampled quite a few of the books on this week’s list before buying one, and the characters of Boneshaker caught my attention. Briar is a fresh take on a typical heroine in my eyes. It was refreshing to see an older female protagonist whose main concern is her son rather than some superficial reputation or love interest. I was also attracted to this character because she is strong in a very subtle way, which is something I admire. She’s not in-your-face, she is willing to let life lead her but at the same time is extremely capable of taking matters into her own hands. I also enjoyed Zeke’s character so far, the teenage boy archetype but not in an obnoxious way. He’s stubborn but good-hearted, and has childlike hope.I think the two of these characters are believable and therefore make the imaginative setting believable.
Which brings me to the second reason I picked this novel which is obviously for the universe in which it presents itself: a poison gas-filled, Victorian mess in which the dead come back to life, technology is at its peak, and privileged society is still sticking to mob mentality culture. I’ve been a long time fan of zombie fiction and am super intrigued to see how it could mix with steampunk tropes and themes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment